[cvsnt] Re: Using InnoSetup?

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Sun Nov 17 12:29:13 GMT 2002

> It depends if it's any good...

I can say that I like it a lot. It's simple yet powerfull.

For one thing it stores all the options in a single, human readable text
file so your setup "project" is way more easy to maintain and takes less
space. In the numbers it's our InstallShield project of  768,217 bytes in 36
files in 25 directories replaced with a single InnoSetup script file of
3,861 bytes. Makes you wondering what's wrong with InstallShield people and
how are they getting away with it...

Another thing is that InnoSetup understands what it means to "compress" the
files. Even thought I added one additional MFC dll (nearly a 1MB in size)
the size of the compiled setup package was still smaller than that of
InstallShield (2,738,150 vs 2,523,917). Makes you thinking that
InstallShield is tar-ing the files instead of zipping them actually ;)

>I do some things that need installer support.

I am sure that virtually anything can be done with the additional scripting
support available for InnoSetup...

>Plus I prefer the more 'professional' look of IS.

InnoSetup looks just as good to me ;)

> I'll have a look, though.

I suggest to get the latest beta for testing, create a basic script file
with it, and then download the ISTool for editing of the InnoSetup script
file. ISTool offers nice and easy to use GUI interface.

Best Regards,
Jerzy