[cvsnt] Re: New client functionality suggestion: ./CVS/Entries.Remote

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Nov 19 18:15:15 GMT 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:20:25 +0100, "Oliver Giesen" <ogware at gmx.net>
wrote:

>A little while ago there was some discussion on the CvsGui list about this:
>Many people request some kind of visualization of Status or "Query Update"
>(aka cvs -n update). In this context I think it would be very useful for GUI
>clients if the results of update or status commands would be cached locally,
>e.g. in a file that could be called something like ./CVS/Entries.Remote or

It's surprisingly hard to do - the client has no idea what the
versions on the remote server are and at no time is it sent this
information.  The text from the update/status is sent directly from
the server...

I had a look at doing it but decided it was definately non-trivial and
would requre some serious hacking, so it's on my 'future' list for
now.