[cvsnt] Re: Using InnoSetup? (OT)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Nov 25 13:18:48 GMT 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:49:35 +0100, "Oliver Giesen" <ogware at gmx.net>
wrote:

>> There was Delphi that's so different it's an entirely different
>> language...
>
>It's not so entirely different IMO. AFAICT, it's more like the difference
>between C and C++ I think.

Well 'pure' pascal doesn't even have variable length strings... I
remember painstaking hours trying to get stuff to compile by adding
the required number of spaces to all my string parameters (and god
help you if you wanted to read a string from the console!).  No
forward references, either, so you have to get the order of your
procedure definitions *exactlly* right.  I could go on, but I'm
breaking into a cold sweat remembering it....

>as was the case in all previous releases. Most Delphians definitely were
>proud of the Pascal heritage and didn't want to see it hushed up for
>whatever reasons.

The opposite of VB then... just try saying VB is Basic on a VB
newsgroup!

>I agree. The lack of a middle-ground SKU is by far the biggest problem with
>Delphi. But it's unfortunately no use arguing about changing pricing schemes
>and marketing strategies with a company that's been increasingly profitable
>for the last 2,5 years... :(

Didn't they go bust a couple of years ago?  I remember the borland
website started redirecting to a new company name and they stopped
doing all their old software.  They then came back, so presumably
someone bought them.   Or was it just a really abortive attempt to
change their name?