[cvsnt] Keyword substitution for binary files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Oct 2 17:25:47 BST 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 00:01:45 +0800, Gabor.Nagy at allianz.com.sg wrote:

>This is a multipart message in MIME format.
>--=_alternative 0057F45D48256C46_=
>
>I do not get why keyword substitution is strictly off for binary files.
>Why cannot we have a fixed length substitution like:
>$Revision:          $ => $Revision: 1.1      $
>?
>
>Or is it just me who do not know how to do it?
>
>Anyway, downloading the source code, having a look on the possibilities.
>
>What about to introduce a new switch which goes along with -kb?
>
>Please let me know your opinion...
>--=_alternative 0057F45D48256C46_=

By definition, modifying a binary file is has undefined behaviour, so
it's not a good idea.  99% of the time if you do this you will end up
with a broken file.  'Revision' for example is something that is only
going to be seen in text file (although there is a finite chance if it
appearing, for example in a .gif file).  Binary files tend to be
executables (can't change them), word documents (can't change them)
and other things you don't want to mess around with.