[cvsnt] Keyword substitution for binary files

Gabor.Nagy at allianz.com.sg Gabor.Nagy at allianz.com.sg
Thu Oct 3 00:42:25 BST 2002

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:25:47 GMT, tmh at nodomain.org (Tony Hoyle) wrote:

> By definition, modifying a binary file is has undefined behaviour, so
> it's not a good idea.  99% of the time if you do this you will end up
> with a broken file.  'Revision' for example is something that is only
> going to be seen in text file (although there is a finite chance if it
> appearing, for example in a .gif file).  Binary files tend to be
> executables (can't change them), word documents (can't change them)
> and other things you don't want to mess around with.
>
> Tony

Of course by default, for all binary files it is not possible, but there
are files which the user (me :)) would like to handle as binaries (because
otherwise CVS will change the newline characters) with still using the
keyword substitution with the fixed way I described before.
It means that he is sure if the keyword appears in the file, that should
be substituted. A good example is Oracle D2K Forms .FMBs or .PLLs
(MMBs...), where I cannot use this feature at all now.

It could be the decision of the user (with using the new switch, possibly
in cvswrappers).