[cvsnt] RE: cvsnt digest, Vol 1 #77 - 3 msgs

Mehling, Ben ben at gsm.uci.edu
Sun Oct 6 19:53:12 BST 2002

=====
> I'm looking to install CVS for the first time and it looks like there
are two
> options for installing a server on Windows; cvsnt and cvs with cygwin.
>
> Which is better and why?

I think it is going to depend on how you access the repository.

The various cvs commands in the cygwin package expect a posix style FS
w/ "/" (forward slash) style directory delimiters.  I don't think they
understand how to work with windows paths...  This is fine as long as
you don't mind always working through one of the cygwin shells on the
cvs server...  Remote access would depend what you setup w/in cygwin
(ssh, pserver, etc).

Client-wise, you'd have to make sure the client and server interfaced
properly.

My cvs server runs cvsnt to manage the repository, ViewCVS (the python
web interface), and then via a cygwin environment CVSTrac (a standalone
defect tracking system).  Each individual util had to have its path
restricted. Cvsnt & ViewCVS expect the win32 versions of the cvs utils,
so I have to set the paths explicitly...  Same w/ the CVSTrac, it runs
via cygwin's installed apache server and gets a very limited path so it
only sees the posix compliant versions of the cvs utils.

HTH,
- Ben