[cvsnt] Using SSPI on a CVSNT server with WinCvs???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Mon Oct 21 15:41:31 BST 2002

I am trying to use the SSPI protocol using WinCvs. Due to the fact
that I am logged on as a different user on my laptop I need to specify
the protocol as:
:sspi:user at server:/repo
This can be done in the Admin/preferences dialogue of WinCvs, but when
I use the Admin/login command WinCvs does not allaow me to actually
log in. Instead it displays:
"Logging in is only required with pserver authentication (see
Preferences dialog).
Please consult the CVS manual for more details."

If I go to the command line instead and enter:
set CVSROOT=:sspi:user at server:/repo
cvs login
then I get the login dialogue and I am successfully logged in to the
server (via the Internet)

Next observation:
I want to use the encrypt flag for the operations on this server with
SSPI. So when I set the preferences I open the settings through the
button and check the encrypt checkbox. This should result in the -x
option being added to the cvs commands but I cannot see that
happening. In the command window I see only the -z flag for cvs, not
the -x flag I specified to switch on encryption. Is the sspi protocol
not supported fully????

I use the following versions:
CVS: CVSNT version 1.11.1.3 57j
WinCvs: The latest version as of Oct 12th built from source.

It seems like WinCvs has problems handling SSPI and since this is the
preferred way to operate on Windows NT (replacing ntserver) then I
feel these shortcomings need to be addressed.