[cvsnt] CVSNT questions

Benyaker, Lorri LBenyaker at seic.com
Wed Sep 4 21:17:35 BST 2002

	Hi,

	New to CVS & software control in general and was given this to get
working so here goes hopefully the first questions is an easy one the second
I'm not sure.

	1) Should be easy I want to install CVSNT on the C:\ drive & put the
repositories on the d:\ drive.  Installs fine but when creating the
repositories I get "can't create repository" now if I add a c:\cvs\repos
subdirectory it creates it fine but in the c:\cvs\repos area not on the d:\
drive..  Below are the config specs & steps I do:

		System Environment variables:  CVSROOT = :local:d:/cvs/repos
						HOME=d:/

		On D: there is d:\cvs\repos  I'm trying to add a repository
called tools..  By using the cvsNT admin tool -> repositories -> Add if I
type in /cvs/repos/tools I get the error can't create the directory..  If I
type in d:\cvs\repos\tools it works fine.    However the developers will be
using Unix thus we want the relative path. Something about unix interpreting
the d:\.   I have this working using the /cvs/repos/tools definition on
another server (see #2 below) but the other server has the repos area on the
c:\ drive - a thing cvsNT seems emotionally attached to and wants to add it
there anyway.

	2) This is on another server (which is working fine - I'm trying to
replace this one with the one having the issue above) Odd item with pserver
- impersonation setup.  For some reason the NT security works correctly by
refusing permissions to users when they use the WinCVS tool but at the
command line a user without NT access to a repository can import, checkout &
update a file.  I have the following setup:
	Directory looks like:  c:\cvs\repositories; c:\cvs\temp;
c:\cvs\locks; c:\repositories\tools
	System user running service & has full control from c:\ down
	NT GROUPS
	CVS_Admin  - has full access c:\cvs down
	CVS_readers - has read & execute access c:\cvs down
	CVS_writers - has read & execute access c:\cvs down but full control
on c:\cvs\locks  & c:\cvs\temp
	CVS_tools - NT group for those using the tools repository - full
access for just that subdir c:\repositories\tools

	Server has a user called cvsadmin who is setup on the machine with
delegation access, as is the server. The impersonation key in the registry
is set to 0...  The unix users are access the server via setting up their
CVSROOT=:pserver:domainname\NTUserID at IPADDRESS:/cvs/repos/tools  problem is
users without access rights to the area can type that puppy in and still do
stuff via command line but not with the WINCVS tool..  Any ideas?