[cvsnt] Found problem of cvs ls command

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Sep 17 12:06:45 BST 2002

Tony and all,
I have now pinned down the problem I have been having with the cvs ls command.
The problem consists of an inability to run cvs ls through WinCvs, the error message that comes out is like this:
cvs ls

Listing modules on server

cvs [server aborted]: cannot stat directory D:/CVSTEMP/CVSLOCKS/le that consists of many directories
# spread out over the entire source repository.
: Bad address

In actual fact the cvs process hangs in a command window util I close it and then the message above comes out.

Solution?
-------------
The solution I have found as of now is to edit the CVSROOT/modules file and remove the last few lines from
it (those lines are default comments put there by CVS upon initialization).
Last part before edit:
#
# You can encode a module within a module by using the special
# character to interpose another module into the current module.  This
# can be useful for creating a module that consists of many directories
# spread out over the entire source repository.

Last part after edit:
#
# You can encode a module within a module by using the special
# character to interpose another module into the current module.  This

Please note that the last lines of the original comment actually is what is pushed out as an
error message when the command fails.

By thus shorting the modules file on all of my repositories I now can use the cvs ls command
as well as the list function in the new WinCvs browser window during checkout.

Someone who can understand the workings of C++ could probably find out what is going
on inside cvs when the cvs ls command runs and figure out a solution.
To me it looks like it is processing lines it should skip entirely because they are started with
the # comment character.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund