[cvsnt] taginfo execution problem...

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Sep 18 08:47:20 BST 2002

I am developing a mailing program specifically designed to be used with CVSNT on a Windows platform.
I have successfully used this program in the loginfo and notify scripts where the bulk of the data are coming
in through standard input.
Now I also wanted to add the capability to handle taginfo so that tagging operations could be notified as well.
But the taginfo execution does not supply the file list on standard input, instead it adds this on the command
line as a sequence of <filename> <revision> strings for all affected files.

Here is where I get into trouble because in some cases my program does not execute at all, it seems like
Windows or CVSNT is barfing at the command line if it is too long. I cannot say if this is done by CVSNT or
Windows or WinCvs (probably not WinCvs).
We ran into this when a developer wanted to tag his module for a major release. The module contains in the
main folder 210 files under version control, average file name length is 18 chars, so when the list is compiled
the total length of the command line parameter string will be something like 6000 chars including revisions.

In WinCvs we wee a message like this:
The following character string is too long:
(here follows a string showing all command line parameters enclosed in double quotes, but truncated a fair bit
from the true end)
cvs server: Pre-tag check failed
cvs [server aborted]: correct the above errors first!

It looks to me that this limitation is imposed by the server (CVSNT 57g).
I use the same cvs.exe on both server and client.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?