[cvsnt] CVS server on NT/WIN2000

P.Goovaerts at Clipper.Be P.Goovaerts at Clipper.Be
Thu Sep 19 08:17:52 BST 2002

>Message: 12
>From: "Oliver Giesen" <ogware at gmx.net>
>Subject: Re: [cvsnt] CVS server on NT/WIN2000
>Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:08:44 +0200
>To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org cvsnt downloads at march-hare.com @CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook

> Is it possible to use an NT or Win2000 as server for CVS ?
>
> We wan't to use CVS but all info I have points to a UNIX/LINUX server to
>be used as
> server...

>Hmm, you DID find the CVSNT list though...

>Seriously, yes of course there is a CVS server for NT/2000. It's called
>(surprise!) CVSNT and is hosted at (surprise again!) http://www.cvsnt.org .

>Good luck and welcome aboard! ;)

>Oliver
>-----------------------
>JID: ogiesen at jabber.org
>ICQ: 18777742
>Y! : ogiesen

thanks for your info.

I already downloaded CVSNT from www.cvsnt.org but was mislead by some
statements on the www.cvshome.org and the IBM WebSphere Redbooks.  I
believed it couldn't be used in a network environment but for local use
only (to test it).
examples:
1)CVSHOME :
        http://www.cvshome.org/dev/codewindow.html (first 2 par.)

There are two ways to run CVS on Windows 95/NT. The first is as a client,
talking to a CVS server on a Unix box. This is the recommended setup and
is commonly used.
The second way is known as "local" or "non-client/server" CVS. This lets
you run CVS if you have only Windows machines. However, due to issues (a)
with local CVS on Windows, and (b) with the suitability of Windows as a
server operating system in general, we would generally recommend this more
to try out CVS and get a feel for it rather than for production use.

 2) IBM Redbook
        somewhat same text +
        "...CVS providers generally recommend using the 2nd option only if
you are evaluating CVS to get to nkow its functionality and not for
production use..."

a bit confusing, at least for my.  Furthermore I asked same question to
"webmaster at cvshome.org", who didn't even reply!

"   I don't have problems, only challenges...  "

Patrick Goovaerts
WebMaster
Clipper Support nv
TEL : 0032 (0)3 5453991