[cvsnt] CVS server on NT/WIN2000

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Sep 19 14:28:11 BST 2002

> I already downloaded CVSNT from www.cvsnt.org but was mislead by some
statements on
> the www.cvshome.org and the IBM WebSphere Redbooks.  I believed it
couldn't be used
> in a network environment but for local use only (to test it).

You should be aware that these are different products we're talking about
here. CVSNT is a fork of what we call the "vanilla" (i.e. original) CVS
hosted at cvshome.org . CVSNT is developed independently by Tony Hoyle and
without any strictly defined goal to maintain backwards-compatibility with
"vanilla" CVS for all eternity (although it always has been so far).

AFAIK there is a CVS client for windows from http://www.cvshome.org and
that's what your quotes are referring to but as you quoted it's a client
only. CVSNT started out as a port of the _complete_ CVS codebase (i.e.
client and server) to Windows. Recently it has been ported back to *ix, so
CVSNT isn't even Windows-only anymore even though the name might still imply
so. You could think of it as an advanced version of CVS.
If you take a look at the last-modified dates on most of the docs at cvshome
you'll see that most of them are pretty out of date. Back then there really
was no serious alternative for Windows.

> a bit confusing, at least for my.  Furthermore I asked same question to
> "webmaster at cvshome.org", who didn't even reply!

Both things (your confusion and the lack of response from cvshome) might
clear up once you understand the difference between the two projects and
their history.

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ: 18777742