[cvsnt] How to know the SLOC

Kari Hoijarvi hoijarvi at me.wustl.edu
Wed Apr 2 16:03:46 BST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org]On Behalf
Of Tony Hoyle

>For added/deleted the information is in the output from 'cvs log' anyway.

For many purposes, this is enough. Using a script lets you eliminate
single-line comments, blank lines etc..

>Not sure how useful it is, though (we find the best developers tend to
delete
>more than they add, as they're tidying up code and making it
smaller/faster).

Of course. LOC is an expense account.

I use PSP style schedule estimation. Estimated LOC -> actual time correlates
very well. My usual estimation error for two week iteration is less than
10%, much better than what I used to be able to do.

Quality assurance people use defect densities all the time. I'm no expert
in that area, so no comment.

IBM computes product support costs from LOC. The linear regression again
correlates very well. Bigger code base means more features, which means more
administration/training costs etc.

Kari