[cvsnt] General Info about usage of CVS

P.Goovaerts at Clipper.Be P.Goovaerts at Clipper.Be
Thu Apr 3 16:10:43 BST 2003

I'm evaluating CVS to use as our Versioning System for WSAD development
and some questions arise (maybe because of faulty usage?)

- I created a 2 projects in WSAD.  1 webapp and 1 'General Utilities'
- Then I moved both to the CVS-repository using 'Synchronize with Stream'
- Finally I 'versioned' the projects using 'Version from workspace'

Another user can load both project into his WSAD_workspace and 'update'
the webapp-project.  He needs the 'General Utilities' to use the
utility_classes
in the webapp-project.

At the same time I change the 'General Utilities' (add new utilities)
and update the CVS_stream.  From this moment web_developer has
another version of the 'General Utilities'-project and has no access
to the new utilities...  I suppose he  needs to reload the 'General
Utilities'-project
from CVS...

But this means we have to reload from CVS over and over....

We are at the 'beginning stage' of developing web_applications and
client_server java applications.  This means that lots of
'utility'_classes
(company specific) needs to be defined.
So actually, while I'm working on the 'General Utilities'-project, other
developers
works on web_apps and needs new 'General Utilities' very often.

As far as I understand CVS now, every time one need to change a project
(General utilities - webproject in our case), one has to load all projects
he needs into his workspace, do his job, update the CVS_stream, version
the
project and clears his workspace.

1) Is this correctly understood ?

2) When I have an EnterpriseApp with 3 web-apps, do I always have to
reload the complete EnterpriseApp + all related web-apps ???  What do we
do when 2 developers work on a different webapp belonging to same
EnterpriseApp?

Patrick Goovaerts