[cvsnt] ViewCVS and enscript on Windows 2000 Server with IIS and CVSNT

Keith D. Zimmerman kzimmerman at eshcom.com
Tue Apr 8 17:50:14 BST 2003

I've managed to get this to work, here are the requirements...

The following packages were downloaded from downloaded from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23617 and
installed in e:\program files\gnuwin32 (program files lives on e:\, I
know it's weird...)
	GNU enscript 1.6.3 (enscript-1.6.3-2-bin.zip)
	GNU sed version 4.0.6 (sed-4.0.6-1-bin.zip)
	libiconv-1.8-1-bin.zip (you should only need libiconv-2.dll from
this package)
	libiconv-1.7-bin.zip (you should only need libiconv.dll)
	libintl-0.11.5-2-bin.zip (you should only need libintl-2.dll)
	gettext-0.10.40-bin.zip (you should only need libintl.dll)

I have no idea why there are two version of libintl.dll and
libiconv.dll, but renaming or copying one to the other failed.
Enscript.exe requires libintl.dll and libiconv.dll; States.exe (called
by enscript, I think) requires libintl-2.dll and libiconv-2.dll.

The bug in the enscript 1.6.3-1 documented in the ViewCVS 1.0-dev for
Windows Release 3 distribution appears to be fixed in enscript 1.6.3-2,
so I didn't use the patched version.

Edit the file E:\Program Files\gnuwin32\etc\enscript.cfg, and changed
all instances of c:/progra~1/enscript to e:/progra~1/gnuwin32 (there
were four).  If enscript cannot find it's enscript.cfg, you'll need to
set the environment variable ENSCRIPT_LIBRARY to point to it.  Mine
seemed to work right out of the box, so I didn't worry about it.

Now let's consider ling 615 of viewcvs.py (found in the libs folder
under the path where you installed viewcvs).  The 'sed' command is
issued with no path specifier, so you need to make sure the sed you just
installed is in your path.  'enscript' is called from the path set in
viewcvs.conf in the 'enscript_path' variable, but since I already placed
e:\program files\gnuwin32\bin in my PATH, I didn't need to worry about
it.  Also, viewcvs is calling enscript with two "-"'s as the final two
parameters - according to the enscript docs, passing '-o -' will write
to stdout, but to read from stdin, you just don't pass an input file
name, so I eliminated one of the "-"'s.

Finally, set use_enscript = 1 in your viewcvs.conf

That should be all.
http://your-server/viewcvs.asp/your/file/path/and.ext?rev=1.2&content-ty
pe=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Errors encountered and overcome during this process...

Problem: enscript was failing.  Ran viewcvs in debug mode, found the
exact command line, and ran it from the console.
1.  dll's not found, twice.  Once from enscript.exe, once from
states.exe.  Fixed by installing the packages above.
2.  enscript still failed, saying "File not found".  If I eliminated the
'--language=html' parameter, it worked.  This was caused by the
incorrect entries in enscript.cfg.
3.  Tried running a different version of enscript, but it also failed,
saying it couldn't find the enscript.cfg file.  This was fixed by
setting ENSCRIPT_LIBRARY.
4.  Both versions of enscript now seemed to be working ok on the
console, but still failing inside IIS, with a message saing
CreateProcess failed, file or path not found.  This was when I noticed
the call to sed, and installed sed, and all was well.

I've also posted this text to
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/ViewCvsWithEnscript

Now if only I could manage to get line number support in the html output
:)

keith d. zimmerman, mcsd
eagle solutions