[cvsnt] Re: newbie: Cannot create repository

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Apr 10 08:18:42 BST 2003

I know that it has been stated to work, however when dealing with the complete
system including add-ons like ViewCvs and other things it is *much* safer to:
- Install CVSNT to a 'non-spacey' path outside "Program Files"
- Install whatever unix tools are used into a similar path, like c:\programs\gnuwin32
- Install Python into something like c:\programs\python22
- Same goes for CVSMailer, but I have taken care of that in the Innosetup script
  for CVSMailer, it won't accept a path with embedded spaces.
- And for heavens sake don't put the repository into a place with embedded spaces!
  I have seen people creating the repository as a subdirectory to CVSNT and then having
  problems because of the spaces in the path.

Realize that in processing the CVS scripts you are not allowed to have spaces embedded
in any kind of scripted commands. CVS will treat the space as a field delimiter even
if you try using quotes in Windows style to defeat the spaces. I have found this out
the hard way....

There is also the new Microsoft "protection" that prohibits write access for normal
users to any location below 'Program Files'. This makes it impossible to let an application
write anything (like an ini file in its program folder) if it is installed there. It
might seem to work as long as the admin that did the installation tests it out, but
will break as soon as a normal user logs in and starts working. This applies to XP and W2000.

Keeping spaces off the paths is the safest way to success even though some spaces may
be tolerated in some circumstances. Having no spaces there will not break anything but
a space may break some component.

Religious view maybe......

/Bo