[cvsnt] Re: Help with Starting

Bo Berglund bosse at agiusa.com
Sat Apr 19 09:00:17 BST 2003

Your setup is to say the least "unconventional"....
I would really recommend that you change this setup so that the users are
given proper workstation login names (different for each user). It is not
such a big job given the low number of workstations you are managing. Just
walk around to them and add one user login on each one (in user manager).
Then also add the same users to the PC where the CVSNT server is located
using the same passwords. If you like you can set the user names as the
computers even though I would not do that myself.

When this has been done you can use the sspi protocol which is the best
one for internal Windows use. It really needs no additional steps because
the user login will be the CVS identifier too.

However,
if you insist that you *must* use the Administrator login on all
workstations (a very strange practice) then you are left with pserver
only...
In this case you must do the following:

1) On the CVSNT server PC you must create a new proper login account, call
it CVSUser or some such thing. THis will be used as the account CVSNT uses
for repository operations and must be a real existing NT account. Don't
use Administrator here!!!!

2) Then you must use the cvs passwd command to add the "real" pserver
users by this command (one for each one of your CVS users, example shows
charlie):
cvs passwd -a charlie -r CVSUser
You will have to enter the password of each user, this is a CVS password
only so you can invent whetever you like. You must be an administrator for
CVS to do this so it is best done on the command prompt of the CVSNT
server PC.

3) On your workstations the users must set up a CVSROOT connection string
like this:
:pserver:charlie at cvsserver:/repository
How this is done varies depending on cvs client, for example on WinCvs 1.3
there is a GUI dialog that splits the components of this into several
entries.

4) Each user must log in using the command cvs login before he can check
out a new module from the CVS server. Afterwards he is not needed to log
in again if he just works in this module.

HTH,

Bo