[cvsnt] piping password to cvs login

Hartmut Honisch hartmut_honisch at web.de
Sat Apr 19 13:40:43 BST 2003

Hi,

TortoiseCVS used to be able to pipe the password to "cvs login" via stdin
redirection, but that has recently stopped working. I had to change the code
to send simlated keystrokes to CVS's console window, but that sometimes
seems to cause problems. I'd prefer to have an easy way to pass the password
to the CVS client.

Why is it no longer possible to do it via stdin redirection? Is there
another interface to tell CVS a user's password that I'm not aware of? Or
would it be possible to implement such an interface? Specifying it as a
command line parameter would probably a bad choice due to security reasons.
Anyone has a better idea? Maybe a temporary file that CVS could read the
password from?

Regards

Hartmut