[cvsnt] Trouble building cvsnt 2_0_x

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Apr 27 13:14:19 BST 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:35:36 +0800, "Jerzy Kaczorowski"
<jerzyk at wndtabs.com> wrote:

>Bo,
>
>Glad to hear that you succeded.
>
>Here is the "step by step" to build the full version without removing any
>projects - it will be easier for you in the long run.
>
>1. Checkout the code just like before and open the workspace file
>2. Start building and wait for an already familiar errors.
>3. Get the OpenSSL installer following the link on CVSNT page. Download the
>latest, currently Win32 OpenSSL (0.9.7b) v1.0 Final.
>4. Install it, for example in C:\OpenSSL folder.
>5. The last error was: Cannot open include file: 'openssl/ssl.h'. Check that
>the missing file is in the C:\OpenSSL\include\openssl\ folder. You have to
>add folder to the VC include directories so the file can be found by the
>compiler:
>    6. Go to the Tools -> Options. Find the Directories tab.
>    7. Set the "Show the directories for" combo box to "Include files".
>    8. Click the New button from the mini-toolbar. Enter
>"C:\OPENSSL\INCLUDE"
>    9. Click OK and repeat the build.
>
>10. The compilation will be OK now, but the linker will complain about the
>missing libraries, eg.:
>--------------------Configuration: sserver_protocol - Win32
>Debug--------------------
>Compiling...
>sserver.c
>Linking...
>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "ssleay32.lib"
>Error executing link.exe.
>
>11. Check where is the missing "ssleay32.lib" file. You will find two
>places:
>- C:\OpenSSL\lib\Builder5
>- C:\OpenSSL\lib\VC
>12. Since we are using VC++ we need the second one.
>files".
>14. Add "C:\OPENSSL\LIB\VC"
>15. Click OK and try the build again. It should complete without any
>problems now.
>
>Good Luck!
>Jerzy

Almost there, but now I am getting a different type of error:

genkey.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_gethostbyname at 4
genkey.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _gethostname at 8
genkey.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WSAStartup at 8
..\WinRel\genkey.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals

Doesn't seem to be related to the openssl problems...

And concerning the include stuff, I had to do it in a different way
because the cvsnt files specify the headers to be in openssl/ssl.h
etc, which means that the folder ike include points to must have a
subfolder called openssl and all tyhe header files must be inside of
this folder. So I created an "Externals" folder in the sandbox and put
that in the include variable, then inside that I created openssl and
copied in the files from the installed include folder. Only then did
it actually work.
I will write up all I now know on how to set up VS6 to compile cvsnt
and put it on Wiki. Probably not now but within a couple of days at
least.

But of course I must get genkey to link properly first....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)