[cvsnt] Feature request: Commitable tags

Max Bowsher maxb at ukf.net
Tue Apr 29 12:29:18 BST 2003

OK, just as a summary:

Commitable tags are a kind of just-in-time branching, the idea being to
avoid the need to branch and then repeatedly merge when multiple lines of
development share the same file but are very unlikely to change it. (An
example: a new feature being developed in a complex project - only a subset
of files will contain actual changes, the rest only redundant copies of the
trunk changes, as they are merged into the branch).

The huge drawback is that you lose history tracking of the correllation
between files merely accepting trunk changes and those actually being
modified on the branch.

The co/up -f flag is a _partial_ solution to this kind of problem, but would
need to be made sticky, amongst other changes.

I believe that the true answer to this problem is to simply merge regularly.
(And perhaps implement some kind of extension to the RCS file format so that
a revision can say "I have no changetext of my own, I am exactly equal to
<revnum>".)

Max.