[cvsnt] Feature request: Commitable tags

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Apr 29 15:40:27 BST 2003

> What you're describing there is a sort of 'half branch' where the file is
> branched but the branch isn't 'real' until a revision is actually added to
it.
> That makes much more sense than mucking around with tags, since it's
almost
> how CVS works already (when you branch a file the branch is created but
there
> are no branch revisions as such... it doesn't really exist until someone
> commits to it).

That would indeed be useful. I see you're already trying to implement it.
Would this maybe be a good time to mention another (probably technically
related) RFE:

I'd like to be able to rename branches which already have revisions on them.
Well, in fact myself I'd be happy if I could just restore an accidentally
removed branch tag but I guess that would automatically come with the above
functionality, which might be useful to others as well...

AFAICT removing branch tags from used branches currently is the only
completely irreversible action a client can perform without using admin
commands. Or did I miss something?

Cheers,

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org