[cvsnt] Feature request: Commitable tags

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Apr 29 16:28:50 BST 2003

> Basically you want to make 'tag -r' behave sanely for branch tags?  That
> doesn't sound too hard....

Probably. I got bitten by the problem that when you run the Tag command in
WinCvs' Graph View it will be run on the directory selection and not on the
file selection as one might think. I wanted to remove an experimental branch
from a file that had nothing to do with it and bang the branch tag was gone
for ALL the files in the directory, including those that already had
revisions on that branch. Now there is an unnamed branch for those files.

So, if I understand you correctly I would be able to restore the tag by
running something like

  cvs tag -b -r 1.1.2 AccidentallyDeleted-BRANCH

on each of the affected files and the branch would be back alive and
kicking?

> >AFAICT removing branch tags from used branches currently is the only
> >completely irreversible action a client can perform without using admin
> >commands. Or did I miss something?
>
> That's pretty much it.  Of cource you have to force it with -B to do that,
> too, so it's really hard to do accidentally.

That must be new then. This "accident" happened years ago. I think we were
even using <gasp> local mode to a network share back then.

Cheers,

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ: 18777742