[cvsnt] Using TagInfo

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Apr 30 14:43:48 BST 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:26:43 -0800, gpurnell at adidam.org (Gregory S. Purnell)
wrote:

>	I am having a problem with the use of the taginfo file. The
>documentation states that there are 4 variables passed to the command
>line. I see the first three but cannot receive the last (the filename
>version pair). Is there some command to be used in taginfo to get the
>filename and version passed on? I use a straight tag command (cvs -q
>tag -c Tag filename) to invoke the tag.

 cvsnt passes the filename/version information to the standard input of the
filter.  This is different from Unix CVS which attempts to pass it on the
command line (which overflows if you try to tag a large project).

The documentation in the taginfo file itself states:

# The "taginfo" file is used to control pre-tag checks.
# The filter on the right is invoked with the following arguments:
#
# $1 -- tagname
# $2 -- operation "add" for tag, "mov" for tag -F, and "del" for tag -d
# $3 -- repository
#
# The filter is passed a series of filename/version pairs on its standard
input