[cvsnt] Problems with ampersand modules

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Aug 3 23:43:22 BST 2003

Glen Starrett wrote:
  > I would like to see a working ampersand code on the stable release.  If
> there are methods where the current method does actually work (as has
> been described recently by you) then I'm OK waiting until the next major
> revision.  The main deciding factor for me is "Can I get it to do what I
> need now?" which I believe is yes.  Assuming I can get it to work, I
> don't need to rush in rewriting anything on the release branch (but I
> agree it sounds necessary for the next major version!).

Well I've put the old modules code back, bugs 'n' all, for now, since
it's only got bugs that were in the old CVS anyway (eg. I *suspect* you
could craft a modules file that would leave your system wide open, but
haven't investigated that avenue too far, for obvious reasons.  Lets
just say I wouldn't be happy giving ordinary users write access to it).

The one thing you won't be able to reliably do is checkout to an
absolute path (fixing that is what got me into the modules code just to
realize what an abomination it was).  I've got a half-hearted
reimplementation but might scrub it as I'm not sure of it.