[cvsnt] Win2k Processor Usage Spirals Out of Control

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Aug 4 11:14:41 BST 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:57:02 -0400, "Chavous P. Camp" <ccamp at scconsultants.net>
wrote:

>Greetings,
>Has anyone seen an issue where cvs.exe starts eating up 100% of the
>processor for long periods of time for simple commit operations?

commit is about the most CPU intensive thing CVS can do - if you have large
files in there (eg. megabytes in size) it can need 100% of the CPU for quite a
while (the longest I've seen was about 10 minutes but that was on an
underpowered machine & 100MB file).  Even with small files it'll spike for a
while.

>Occasionally, cvs.exe gets spawned and freaks out, nearly taking the
>system down.  I have yet to be able to PERSONALLY reproduce it, but my
>employees report it to me approximately once per day.  Today, I had 3
>cvs.exe processes, all fighting for the same (100%) share of the
>processor pie.

That sounds normal - the CPU is there to be used, after all.

>As a rule, we use the sserver protocol with TortoiseCVS. We have 7 or so
>folks using CVS, but RARELY are more than one of them in at any given
>time.

sserver needs quite a bit of CPU to do the encryption on its own, which is
going to add to it (probably not a lot, but it'll affect a machine that's
struggling).