[cvsnt] Win2k Processor Usage Spirals Out of Control

Chavous P. Camp ccamp at scconsultants.net
Mon Aug 4 22:35:33 BST 2003

Actually, after further diagnosing the problem, I'm not sure if it is
happening on updates or commits.  I personally couldn't replicate it
while sitting at the guy's machine, but after we fixed his OTHER cvs
problem and he started updating and committing (user error - he didn't
know the difference between "add" "update" and "commit"), someone
informed me that the processes had, again, begun to eat the machine for
lunch.

After 10-20 minutes of taking up (roughly) 25% of the processor each, I
had to kill them.  We're talking about 2-50k files here.

Looks like he ran an update or a commit dealing w/ a binary file.  I
yelled at him for including this specific binary file, because it was
basically a user preferences file, but none the less, it happened.  Of
the 4 temp directories generated for the 4 screwed processes, three only
had a few CVS control files in them, namely "Repository" "Entries" and
"Root."  The 4th had the binary file mentioned earlier.

Would you suggest I try 2.1.1 even though it was released BEFORE 2.0.8?

Thanks again for all your help,

Chavous Camp

-----
Chavous P. Camp <ccamp at scconsultants.net>