[cvsnt] $log & $header in M/S files

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Thu Aug 7 09:44:24 BST 2003

> From: William Blencowe
>    I would like to version control Microsoft Word, Excel, &
> PowerPoint docs.
> CVS want's to handle them as binary

... as it should; they are all Microsoft compound document files, with
embedded storages and streams, so they should not be treated as text or
as Unicode.

As another poster has pointed out, saving as HTML may help under some
circumstances; it does not help in the general case.

> so I can't use the $log$ & $header$ in
> the doc's.  In the past I've found it really useful to have
> this stuff as
> part of the doc.  Any sugguestions???

Thinking off the top of my head (well, there are worse places to
think...) I wonder whether it would be possible to catch the commit on
the CVS server and do something fun like scripting an open of the
document, adding the log to the document fields, and closing the
document again?  This would, of course, require Office on the CVS
server.

I haven't the foggiest clue *how* to do this in CVS, I'm afraid; I am
merely assuming there's a script hook on commit that can be passed (a)
the file to commit and (b) the appropriate headers.

		- Peter