[cvsnt] $log & $header in M/S files

Ian Epperson Ian at axiomdesign.com
Thu Aug 7 23:45:08 BST 2003

Nice idea, unfortunately Word sometimes breaks the RTF files in odd places.
You may have to open the file in a text editor to ensure that

  $Revision: 1.4$

doesn't get turned into
  $Revision\\
  :\%20\1.4\$

or something equally screwy.  The nicer thing about Word is that once you
fix it, if you don't actually make changes to that line in Word, Word
usually won't re-write the code for it - so if you have to fix it, you
should only need to fix it once per file.

I just poked around a bit more, and discovered that both XL and Word have
something called a "Web Archive" format as one of the file formats.  It
creates a single file with all the multiple web files tucked into it, and
its all text.  Here's the first line of a word file I saved like this:
 ____

This document is a Web archive file.  If you are seeing this message, this
means your browser or editor doesn't support Web archive files.  For more
information on the Web archive format, go to
http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/office/webarchive.htm
 ____

M$ IE recognizes it - even gives you a link to edit in Word, and it looks
like it's a CVS happy format.  Tried this with an Excel doc and got the same
result.  No loss in formatting, single text file viewable in a browser
(well, at least in IE, looks simple enough, I'm sure Moz supports it)

I think we may start using this here!

do
  fork agent( smith );
repeat;