[cvsnt] adding users problem

Richard Lovell Richard.Lovell at terralink.co.nz
Tue Aug 12 02:04:20 BST 2003

Hi there,

We're investigating cvsnt after being told to shift away from a Solaris box
cvs setup. The intended connection protocols are pserver because my cvs
front end (jCVS) doesn't support sspi, but also because we'll have Linux
boxes accessing the repository.  Setup is cvsnt 2.0.8 on WinXP Pro.

All installation is done under a domain login with full administrator
rights. The install goes fine, but I'm having problems adding users.

I can set cvsroot with:
set CVSROOT=:sspi:rictor:/TEST

and subsequently login successfully, which yield my system user name:
H:\>cvs login
Logging in to :sspi:RLovell at rictor:2401:/TEST
CVS password: ********

but whenever I try to add a user, add a domain user or alias a user I get
problems:
H:\>cvs passwd -a -r RLovell rlovell
Adding user rlovell at rictor
New password: ****
Verify password: ****
cvs [server aborted]: User 'RLovell' is not a real user on the system.

so I try adding my domain login as a cvs user:
H:\>cvs passwd -a -D domain_name\RLovell RLovell
Adding user RLovell at rictor
cvs server: *WARNING* CVS user 'RLovell' will not be able to log in until
they a
re aliased to a valid system user.

then I try setting the alias:
H:\>cvs passwd -a -r RLovell rlovell
Adding user rlovell at rictor
New password: ****
Verify password: ****
cvs [server aborted]: User 'RLovell' is not a real user on the system.

so I try aliasing the domain user:
H:\>cvs passwd -a -r domain_name\RLovell rlovell
Adding user rlovell at rictor
New password: ****
Verify password: ****
error 0 Invalid username - cannot specify domain as server is not acting as
a do
main member
cvs [server aborted]: User 'domain_name\RLovell' is not a real user on the
system.

I really would like to get this set up for the team but seem to be making a
few dumbarse mistakes. Can anybody point them out?

regards
Richard Lovell