Antwort: RE: [cvsnt] invalid repository path when tagging - cvsnt zombie

Markus.Gebhardt at etas.de Markus.Gebhardt at etas.de
Tue Aug 12 06:16:25 BST 2003

Hi,

>> did anyone habe problems with tagging in cvsnt2.0.4? (Both nt
>> and unix).
>> I'm using a (large) module that I can check out, update etc. without
>> problems. But
>> when I try to tag the module, cvs -q tag -c Tagname Directory
>> first cvs reports the ignored directories (CVS dirs) and
>> then I get lists of directories with the comment "invalid
>> repository path
>> -   full dir path".
>
>No solutions here, but hopefully getting closer to the problem.
>
>What OS and version of TortoiseCVS are you using?  I seem to recall some

We're having W2000 Tortoise1.4.3 (=cvsnt 2.0.4 client) on the client side
and
cvsnt 2.0.4 on a Linux machine on the server side. Alternatively, I tried
2.0.4 and 2.0.8 on a W2000 server, too.
I also logged in on the server and checked out the module in my homedir
there and tried tagging - same problem.

>sort of problem with the length of the command line, there is a limit
>depending on your OS (Win9x being MUCH more limited than NT+, but both
>have limits) that IIRC was a problem with some versions of TortoiseCVS
>and/or WinCVS.  When you see the command line in the Tortoise window,
>can you copy it and try running it directly on the command line to see
>if it is the same problem?

I could remember that discussion, too, but I don't think it's related to
the command line, since the command line is rather short

E:\tests\modulename: cvs -q tag -c testtag
projectdir/subdir/subsubdir1/subsubdir2
CVSROOT=:pserver:markus.gebhardt at cvsservername:/var/lib/cvs/projects

when I try to tag the directory. The command line gets rather long when I
then go into that directory and select the files directly, though.
Selecting less that about 200 file works then. This is just a workaround
to tag the files somehow.
Copying the Tortoise CVS command to the command line doesn't work - the
buffer is too short; only about half of the files (less than with
Tortoise) can be listed and tagged then.
But a cvs -q tag -c testtag *.h (all the files are headers) causes the same problem - first "invalid
repository path", then the zombie on the server, leaving the client
waiting forever.

I forgot to mention that this problem didn't exist from the beginning -
it's the 8th tag or so on that version of the files now. The tagging
worked fine in the beginning,
but since the last tag this problem showed up. I don't know if the zombie
process and the "invalid repository path" are linked, but it seems so as
both
showed up  together.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with regards

Markus Gebhardt