[cvsnt] trying to shadow website on network drive

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Aug 13 15:44:18 BST 2003

Misner, Ris wrote:

> One of the projects in this repository is the company website, so the idea is that developers will commit a change to the website in CVS, and then this postcommit script will automatically update the website directory on the server so that the change appears on the internet immediately after that change is committed to CVS.  This would be very convenient integration if I could get it working.

You are hardly the only person who thought this would be an excellent use of
CVS; you are also not the only person to discover it is very difficult to manage
with NT!

My best suggestion is to make the CVSNT and web server the same box.  Then you
can use the script and instructions here:

	http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsChapter180

to keep the web server updated.  This will work and will not require as much
hairloss as the other method below.

If you cannot do that for some reason, you will have to understand how NT
services operate.  The CVSNT service is executed by the SYSTEM account, which
has no rights to anything except the local machine (and there is has special
rights).  In order to access networked resources you have to have two things:

1) An account with rights to the remote drive (typically a domain account)
2) The additional rights assigned to that account so that it can executate a
service (just being Administrator is not enough).

Having done this for several applications, I can assure you that it is not easy
to get all of the correct bits in place.  The rights required are (I believe):

a) Run as part of the Operating system
b) Replace and Process Level Token
c) Create a Token Object

(they will be called something different in W2k, and something still different
in W2003).  Then there may be ACL issues, if the account you use isn't a domain
admin equivalent (which it doesn't technically need to be).  I have not done
this particular surger with CVSNT, because the first method is so much superior.

HTH

John