[cvsnt] cvs export mystery thickens...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 13 23:19:46 BST 2003

(Sorry, posted before to the wrong group in the newsserver...)

I am back with some more "facts" about the failure of export to obey
the -N flag.

Today back home I did the following:
1) I installed 2.0.8 on an NT4 workstation

2) Then I used this with sspi as the client on the command line
towards my main XP machine which was running 2.0.5.

3) The command cvs export -r HEAD -d EXP1 -N BosseTest/Nisse
executed as I want, expanding the folder tree and all.

4) Then I went to the XP machine and did the same on that, and it also
operated satisfactorily.

5) Now I updated CVSNT on my XP workstation from 2.0.5 to 2.0.8 using
the installer from the website downloaded today.

6) Then I repeated the command from before into a new folder (I still
had the command window open). But now the export results in the flat
file structure problem.

7) So I went back to the NT4 box and did the same (also in the still
open command window). Now the export was flat.

Here is a copy of the output in the command window on my XP machine:

E:\cvstest>cvs export -r HEAD -d EXP1 -N BosseTest/Nisse
cvs export: Updating EXP1/BosseTest/Nisse
U EXP1/BosseTest/Nisse/CopyofBosse.txt
U EXP1/BosseTest/Nisse/mangedoc.txt
U EXP1/BosseTest/Nisse/nissedoc.txt

E:\cvstest>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.5 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.5 (client/server)

... here I updated to 2.0.8 ....

E:\cvstest>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.8 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.8 (client/server)

E:\cvstest>cvs export -r HEAD -d EXP2 -N BosseTest/Nisse
cvs export: Updating EXP2
U EXP2/CopyofBosse.txt
U EXP2/mangedoc.txt
U EXP2/nissedoc.txt

E:\cvstest>

Any thoughts on why it works like this, apparently there are a number
of items involved here since the server update changes the behaviour
so much from 2.0.5 to 2.0.8.

I also tried to use the daily snapshot of today, but when I replace my
CVSNT installed files with these the cvs service won't start because
of a missing file MSVCP71.dll, which is not part of the package and is
not in my system either (I do have the Visual Studio DOTNET installed,
but not the latest version).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)