[cvsnt] Windows 2000 File Permissions and remote access protocols

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Aug 14 06:51:28 BST 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:11:54 -0700, "Jim B." <none at none.com> wrote:

>I next tried the ntserver method and ran into a bit of trouble; I didn't
>realize that the writers file (not just file system permissions) affected
>user access. After adding cvsuser and Administrator to the writers file, I
>was able to execute:
>
>cvs - d :ntserver:theta:d:\cvsrepo\test2 passwd -a cvsuser
>
>without incident.

ntserver is being phased out and if you are installing/configuring a
new system you should not use it. There is a better alternative in
SSPI, which works functionally in a similar way but technically uses
the standard 2401 TCP port. This makes it easier to use with routing
and firewalls for example.
Please reconsider usage of ntserver.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)