[cvsnt] cvs / subversion discussion

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Aug 15 13:57:33 BST 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:07:23 -0400, "Scott Ford" <sford at RJKTECH.com> wrote:

>I would not be interested in a rivalry with subversion, but rather a
>technical discussion about what subversion offers vs. what cvsnt offers
>(now and in the future). I doubt that I will stop using cvsnt anytime
>soon. It works and I am rather quite happy with it (hats off to you
>Tony!). But I would like to know at least what it over the horizon, and
>why I will (or won't ;)) like it.

At the moment subversion has binary deltas and directory versioning, and cvsnt
has all the watches/reserved edits that it inherited from CVS, Unicode support
and integration with NT authentication.

In the future I'd imagine quite a lot of convergence, since what people want
of a version control system tends to be pretty similar.  For example the next
version of cvsnt will have a new SQL backend that'll automatically give it the
directory stuff, rename/move tracking, binary deltas, plus advantages from
using SQL, like transactions.   On paper it'll also be considerably faster,
but I haven't got far enough with the rewrite to prove that yet.