[cvsnt] cvs / subversion discussion

Scott Ford sford at RJKTECH.com
Fri Aug 15 16:12:46 BST 2003

It will probably be pretty easy for us in the user community to develop
configuration scripts for different database flavors.

My database experience is a little rusty but wouldn't only one SQL
script be needed set up the tables in the database, regardless of the
flavor. Or will cvsnt handle all of that?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 10:40 AM
To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org cvsnt downloads at march-hare.com @CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook
Subject: Re: [cvsnt] cvs / subversion discussion

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:15:19 +0200, "Bo Berglund"
<Bo.Berglund at system3r.se>
wrote:

>What's this binary delta stuff really? Do you mean that it will be used
>save stoarge space and transfer bandwidth or is the plan also for
binary
>merges?
>Which I doubt very much will ever work....

Mostly for storage...  It's a lot more efficient when there are non-text
files
in the repository.  I'll probably stick with text merges for the actual
protocol.

>And concerning SQL, does this mean that we can choose a server to use
or
>will it be bound to the MySql that I saw mentioned earlier? I guess
that
>Oracle was just a blind shot...

Once the sql interface is there writing for a different one is
relatively
trivial...  I could probably support anything I can install and test
here,
eventually.  Initial development is being done with mysql, though.

>What about setting up the system, can it be expected to be done by the
>common software guy or do we need more expertise here?

It'll be relatively simple if the database is available already... I'm
not
going to get into bundling databases :)  Luckily mysql is pretty easy to
configure.