[cvsnt] cvs / subversion discussion

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Aug 15 17:08:56 BST 2003

> Warning flagged for the NT authentication stuff with
> MSDE2000! We ran into that beast also. It turns out that this
> can only be used within domains and cannot (AFAICT) be
> routed. So we had to invest a lot of time to switch the
> system over such that TCP/IP and SQL authentication could be
> used instead. Not easy to install so that this works.

Just some info here on SQLServer protocols:

The default network protocol for SQLServer is Named Pipes, similar to
the old ntserver protocol (if I understand what ntserver was, I never
used it), and similar to NET USE blah blah blah commands.  It was over a
couple ports (136,137??) and NOT a good idea to allow this across a
firewall.  The primary limitation I've found with Named Pipes on
SQLServer is that it REQUIRES the user have NT credentials to the
server, even if you are NOT using that for the SQL connection--the
client machine has to be a user on the server.

TCP/IP Sockets net library also supports NT authentication which does
NOT require the client to be a user on the server, and is quite routable
(I think!), using port 1433 by default IIRC.  This would be the protocol
of choice for CVSNT if it was to use SQLServer, but it could be left as
a configurable option since different sites have different preferences.

Regardless, I would expect CVSNT to support a free database out of the
box (MySQL or Postgre or similar, I prefer MySQL only because I'm using
other OSS that uses it).  I'm not at all opposed to it also working with
others of course :).

Regards,

Glen Starrett