[cvsnt] Re: $Id$ Conflict (was $Log$ conflict)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Aug 18 01:28:23 BST 2003

Glen Starrett wrote:

> OK, so that explains $Log$.  As for $Id$ though--I've seen conflicts
> when I import CVS from elsewhere with $Id$ (e.g. someone else's source,
> from another CVS repository) then update it, then import an update to
> the vendor branch, I get conflicts--I suppose that's what you mean by
> "almost"?  Would merging with $Id$ always cause this, or is it only when
> I'm importing from another repository that it's a problem?

It varies...  The diffs between branches are always done using -kk, so you
can merge branches without getting conflicts on the tags.  If the source
has changed from elsewhere of course the tags are already expanded, so the
3-way diff will fail.  At the moment there isn't an easy way around it - I
can think of a couple but they probably wouldn't be foolproof... gotta
think harder for the future.