[cvsnt] Binary with Keywords

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Aug 27 00:29:22 BST 2003

> So, I was wondering, is it possible to tell CVSNT that a file
> is binary, but
> with keyword expansion enabled?  My old version (1.11.1.3 -
> 57j) doesn't
> allow this, does the newer version?

It sounds like you're doing just the opposite of what the different
options do (this is from memory, I don't normally use these directly):

Normal -kk: Allow keyword expansion, Do CR/LF translation
Old data -ko: No keyword expansion, Do CR/LF translation
Binary -kb: No keyword expansion, do NOT do CR/LF expansion
Unicode (not even sure what that does)

So you want NO CR/LF translation but YES to keyword expansion?  I think
that's what you're asking, but I also don't think it does that.

Looking at your statements, I'm a little confused still as to *why* the
indexing is getting hosed--is it because the relative positions in the
file are changing with the keyword expansions??  If that is the case
then you should just turn them off entirely and treat the files as 'old
data' or binary with no expansion.

> Also, if I do build a script to handle this issue, is there
> some way to have
> it automatically run on the client or server for just this
> file type before
> and after a merge?  Perhaps have it run for every commit (keeping the
> mergable version in CVS) then re-translating it to a useful
> version after
> updates and merges?

I would imagine you could set up a postcommit script, then just alter
the appropriate files.  Even if they aren't neatly in 1 module then you
could loop through the files committed and massage only the necessary
ones.

Regards,

Glen Starrett