[cvsnt] How to stop spam on the list?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Aug 27 01:47:52 BST 2003

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Tony,
> is it possible to put a filter on the list processing such that obvious
> spam is not passed on? The last days we have seen tons of messages with
> subject like ALERT, Antigen found, Out of office autoreply, virus found in
> sent message etc etc etc

Since I was on holiday I couldn't access the list and stop it, but my policy
when I'm around is that any mailserver sending such a message is banned
from posting/subscribing to this list permanently until the admins convince
me they have fixed their mail server.

There is *absolutely* no excuse for an AV sending an auto response to the
sobig virus, which has always spoofed its email address, and I have a zero
tolerance attitude to this.

FYI I blocked 300 sobigs over the last 6 days, and 1,750 'bounce' messages
from broken AV.  TBH the virus is no longer the problem... it's the AV
that's the real problem now.