[cvsnt] Binary with Keywords

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Aug 27 18:25:19 BST 2003

> CVS thinks the merge succeeded - but this file doesn't work.
> There are 2
> different symbol 2s and 2 different signal 4s.  Trying to
> load this file
> gives an error from the IDE and shuts it down.  There is no
> way to figure
> out if the signal 4 referred to in the symbol is the and_input_2 or
> buffer_output.  Also note that we usually name our signals
> for what they do,
> not what they're connected to ;-)

OK, I can see what you mean by indexes--not in the ISAM sense but an
object name sense.  I also understand now why you want to mark it as
binary yet still allow keyword expansion.  Unfortunately I don't have a
lot to add here though--I'm assuming you already looked into reserved
edits (I don't know anything beyond the name).

> But I don't think there's a "pre-update" script.  Because of
> this issue, I
> may want to lobby form a "pre-merge" and "post-merge" script
> if possible.
> However, don't the merges run on the client?

Instead of that I might implement a COMMIT script that checks for
duplicate named indexes and reject the commit, so it doesn't break any
files in your repository.  Then the dev can run a utility on the client
side to rename the offensive node(s) and commit it cleanly.  It sounds
good anyway!

You could also have the devs work on a branch and commit to that so they
don't stomp on each other's changes, then merge those with appropriately
named objects when ready.

Hope this helps.

Glen Starrett