[cvsnt] New user

Lawson.Reed Reed.Lawson at IGT.com
Fri Aug 29 22:22:34 BST 2003

I can help with some of this....

> 1. Will the cvsnt work if the same repository is replaced (
> the CVSREPO folder ) ina newly configured cvsnt.( similar to
> Lotus notes ) and i have restore it again.

Yes. During my testing phase, I replaced my repo many times.
The clients won't know the difference UNLESS, an archive actually
has less revisions than before. It is probably best to have all
the users do a fresh "checkout" if that kind of change is expected.

> 2. How to checkout the codes from the cvsnt ( server side )???

I have to assume you mean to update a server side directory
automatically when something is checked in (like a web page).
(since checking out code on the server is trivial
cvs -d:local:D:/cvsrepo/repo1 co <module> )

In the 'postcommit' file in the CVSROOT dir, I have these three lines.

Apache2    perl d:/CVSadmin/AutoUpdate.pl d:/Apache2 ApacheRestart
CVSAdmin   perl d:/CVSadmin/AutoUpdate.pl d:/CVSAdmin
ProjectWeb perl d:/CVSadmin/AutoUpdate.pl d:/ProjectWeb

So that I run a script called "AutoUpdate.pl for the named modules
The script looks like this:
---------------------------------------8<--------------------------
# Script for automatically updating a directory on the server.
chdir $ARGV[0] or die "Cannot cd to $ARGV[0]";
$output = `cvs update -d`;

# See if we have to run a server restart
if($ARGV[1] eq "ApacheRestart")
{
    system("d:/apache2/bin/apache -k restart");
}

# For debugging
open OUTPUT, "> cvsout.txt" or die "Can't open cvsout.txt";
print OUTPUT "$output\n";
close OUTPUT;
My CVS/Root files in the target directories are ":local:D:/cvsrepo/repo1".

Hope this helps.