[cvsnt] Upgrading

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Mon Dec 8 18:41:06 GMT 2003

> Can anyone point me to any documentation describing
> the upgrade process.

I don't know of one or a common location that note's gotchas to look out
for.  The issues that caught us on our 1.11.1.3 upgrade to 2.0.11 were:

* -m 'COPY' functionality in cvswrappers is no longer supported in 2.X
releases.  You probably don't use this but it caught us.  I had to
change our usage to -k 'b'

* Email notifications appear to be case sensitive now which meant users
were getting notify emails on their own commits to watched files
  cvs edit -c file
  [edit file]
  cvs co file
  [get email that a watched file was edited]

We fixed this by putting logic in our notify handler script but it was
annoying and many of our developers knocked on my door to let me know
"cvs is broken."

* If you use ViewCVS you will need to upgrade that to the latest version
as well, log output has changed and older ViewCVS versions will choke.

* commitinfo now sends file names on STDIN instead of the command line.
A good thing but requires updates to commitinfo scripts if you run them
(loginfo is unchanged though I wish it wouldn't use the cmd line since
that is where big actions hang up for us)

There are probably a few other nits that I'm forgetting in everything
but those were the ones that stick out for me.  The archives and sandbox
states was never a concern or a problem.

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation
612-204-3634