[cvsnt] postcommit

Denver Root jfcube at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 00:04:24 GMT 2003

Hi, I have read several documents that say that you can use the 'postcommit'
file in the CVSroot to copy every file that is committed to a seperate
location (for backup, whatever, etc.).  I have NO idea how to do this and I
would love it if you could offer me any help.

For simplicity's sake I will define a couple things:

All paths I give will relate to my CVS server.
I am running both the server and the "client" on Windows XP

My cvsroot is 'c:\cvs\cvsroot'
My module is 'module1'
My local copy of the modue is '\\computer\cvs\module1'
My "backup" location is '\\backup\cvs\module1'

I want to commit file 'abc.txt' from my computer to the server.  Then I want
the server to automatically
copy the file I just committed to my backup location.

Here is the sequence of events {this means an action or command that takes
place}:

\\computer\cvs\module1\abc.txt   {cvs commit}  -->  c:\cvs\cvsroot\abc.txt
{copy}  -->  \\backup\cvs\module1\abc.txt

Thanks a lot! (My e-mail is jfcube at hotmail.com)  God-Bless!  -Denver Root