[OT] Corporate politics and servers (was RE: [cvsnt] ntserver vs. local)

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Thu Dec 11 07:54:41 GMT 2003

> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
> Peter Crowther wrote:
> > Mmm... to be fair, there's one thing local mode sometimes has that
> > running a server doesn't: MIS support.  Especially if you
> want your CVS
> > repository somewhere that's backed up, given that the
> server should be
> > accessing local filestore, not networked.  In a large or paranoid
> > organisation, getting authority to run such a beast on supported
> > hardware can be difficult.
> >
> Not really.  You either need CVS or you don't.

I agree.

> If you don't, and it's a
> personal project, then run it on your desktop or something.

I agree.

> If you need
> it, the it's the job of the network support team to support
> that.  That's why they're called 'support'.

I agree... in theory.  However, I have contracted in one organisation
where the IT server support team had all the power and a project head
(on the staff of the company) couldn't get this through, no matter how
hard he pushed.  I have the usual war stories from others.  This isn't
theory; it is reality.  Yes, the organisations is clearly dysfunctional,
but unfortunately I don't think the pattern is uncommon.  Scott Adams'
character 'Mordac, the Preventer of IT Services' is alive and well in
many, many organisations - especially governmental ones.

> If they won't support it, you can't run
> version control (all version control systems require a server of some
> kind).

... and this, I fear, is what isn't stated clearly enough on the box.
So users and developers try to get round the corporate politics with
broken 'solutions' for CVSNT like running in local mode, as well as the
equally broken 'solutions' they find for other problems caused by the IT
support team wishing to make their own lives easier / cover their asses.

		- Peter