[cvsnt] Re: Latest updates

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Dec 11 12:06:20 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> It's hardcoded to use c:\windows - I couldn't believe it myself when I
> found out, but numerous tests proved it - if you write protect your
> windows directory the 7zip install will fail.

Hmm, if it's hardcoded why doesn't it act like that for me? Are you
sure it extracts the wrapped installer to c:\windows or is it just that
it needs write access to that directory for some obscure reason? I only
checked the former and it is definitely not the case on the machines I
tried it on - the "real" installer always ends up in %TEMP%\7z####.tmp
(where #### is some random character string).

Have you already reported the results of your research to Bjornar (the
author of ISTool)?

I'd really like to see Inno use LZMA compression internally (as it is
already capable of doing with zip, bzip, etc.) instead of the
self-extractor wrapper approach that ISTool uses. That one also has
another deficiency as it is no longer sensibly possible to use
script-references to {src} (the location where the original setup file
is located - this is useful if you want to trigger external installers
or tools from within your script but don't want to put them inside your
installer).

Cheers,

--
Oliver