[cvsnt] CVSnt versus (*nix) CVS?

John Kinson cvs at yellowradio.com
Fri Dec 12 11:42:51 GMT 2003

Is it worth adding a page to the Wiki summarising the advantages of
CVSnt over Linux (Collabnet) CVS?

Off the top of my head, these are the areas I could think of:

- Merge tracking via mergepoint attribute

- Support for :sspi: authentication, i.e. users can use existing Windows
domain accounts / passwords, rather than :pserver: and local password files

- Branch and file ACLs can be used to fine-tune access restrictions

- Directory browsing via cvs ls [-lR]

- Lock server on a second port (2402) that replaces filesystem-based locks

- Runs as an NT service with a Windows control panel applet for easy
configuration (CVSROOT/config scripts etc. still used though)

- More sophisticated / extra triggers available e.g. postcommit.

JK
--
http://www.yellowradio.com/

If technology doesn't seem like magic,