[cvsnt] [repost] CVSNT error w/ Eclipse (very peculiar)

Brice Ruth bruth at fiskars.com
Fri Dec 12 14:51:39 GMT 2003

[I posted this to the CVSNT list with no response - anyone know a better
place to post this?]

I have a project in CVS that from day 1, has been developed with Eclipse
(2.1). CVSNT was originally 2.0.10, then 2.0.11, and today, 2.0.13.

The project is rather large (a few thousand files, not sure of the exact
total) and a few weeks ago, I need to create a branch from HEAD - which
I did from Eclipse, everything's fine - I've been working with it, no
problems. Now, I'm getting close to needing to re-join the main
development trunk, so I need to merge with HEAD ... I select the top
level directory, and begin the merge operation in Eclipse - before it
returns a list of files to merge, it errors out with a "Socket
Exception: Connection Reset" error.

So, this was pre-2.0.13, I was hoping 2.0.13 would fix things up for me.
Not so. So, I start going through, directory by directory ... some merge
fine, others give me the error ... so, I drill deeper into the
directories with errors ... until I get to the point where the merge is
successful. This seems to be totally random, and I have no idea what's
causing the CVSNT server to reset the connection - the number of files
per directory that's failing don't seem to matter, and there hasn't been
a situation where I can't drill down to a level where the merge works
(so I haven't identified a single file or directory structure that is
causing the error).

What's going on here? What can I do to debug this? Has anyone else seen
this? Has anyone seen this outside of CVSNT?

Guidance, please! :)

TIA
Brice Ruth
--