[cvsnt] $Log$ conflict again - grepping the sources

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Wed Dec 17 16:27:45 GMT 2003

I searched the archives and know this issue has come up before but the
response was always some form of "don't do that" and I'm hoping for
something a little more solution oriented.  Here is the situation under
modern CVSNT versions (I don't believe this happened under 1.11.X
releases):

1. Developer 1 mods a file with $Log: $ keyword
2. Developer 2 mods the same file and commits it
3. Developer 1 updates and gets a conflict in the header around $Log$

<<<<<<< file.cpp

$Log: file.cpp,v $

=======

$Log$

Revision 1.18 2003/12/17 14:37:29 joe

P 20188 - Added a mod

Tony has written that Log: maintenance is a minefield he'd rather not
walk through and I can respect that position - we've all probably BTDT.
But we have developers from older source control systems where grepping
the sources was the only way to get a picture of what changed for a
particular bug number.  Sure there were problems with this, e.g.
binaries, but it was quick and inline with work patterns.

We have implemented loginfo hooks to update problem records with change
logs and send change emails but neither of these are bug free and so
they don't always work.  Also, these solutions are both outside the
developer's state of mind while working, they really want to "grep the
source right here and right now."  Going off to the bug database or
searching their email client is several steps removed and breaks the
state of mind for many.

So are there any "grep the source" solutions others have used that work
for them?  cvs log | grep 20188 isn't great because you only get the
lines and not the files they're in (since you're grepping STDOUT).

Maybe a tool or script already out there?  Preferably something .exe so
it can sit in a PATH and not force long calls like perl
c:\mycvstools\grepLog.pl <options>...

Anybody else hit this and how do you work around it?

Thanks,
Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation