[cvsnt] Re: Latest updates - Delta compression -kz

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Dec 29 22:51:40 GMT 2003

Björn Carlsson wrote:
> After only one revision the log command worked, but when I tried after 4
> revisions it didn't work anymore.

Hmm.. log is broke.  Checkout etc. still works though, so I've no idea
what log is doing that's special.

> One more question, what is the difference, with this new binary diff
> thing, I can't notice the difference? I thought it should only store the
> diff between two revisions? I tried to make very small changes in an
> icon file, but it seemed to add full file size for every revision.
> /Björn Carlsson

It's about 4* more efficient than a text diff on random binary data
(multiple versions of cvs.exe in my tests), but you'll never get 100%
compression out of anything - It is only storing the differences within
a certain granularity depending on the size of the file (for large files
it works in larger blocks for speed) - a fully optimised diff would of
course use a block size of 1 byte, but that'd take about a week to run....