[cvsnt] Re: Improve Performance?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Dec 30 16:54:49 GMT 2003

Tyler Theobald wrote:
> I just installed 2.0.16 on a Windows Server 2003 and am using TortoisCVS
> 1.6.0 r4 on a Windows 2000 Pro workstation. .  The server is dual 1.3mhz
> PIII with 2 gigs RAM, and my workstation 2.x mhz, with 512 RAM, and
> server/workstation are connected together via a 100mbps connection LAN. I'm
> checking out and committing just fine via SSPI and domain authentication (no
> local accounts on the server), but the speed is quite slow, as I can easily
> read all the files in the TortoisCVS results window as they scroll by.  I've
> checked the processor utilization on both workstation and server during
> operations with a lot of files and they don't appear overtaxed - Process
> just seems to "walk" through all the cvs.exe commands instead of "running"
> like I'd like.

You should be OK.  If you're checking out the HEAD then there isn't much
activity going on generally - it's little more than a copy - the speed
hit comes when you are on a branch (and that isn't too bad - I've stayed
on a branch for over 6 months without the slowdown becoming noticable).

It sounds like either your network or disk performance is slowing it
down.  There are two major bottlenecks that I've come across - firstly,
if the PDC isn't responding quickly things like permission checks can
take a while (this is made worse if you're checking out individual files
instead of directories, as Tortoise tends to do).  The other big thing
is Norton 'Real Time Scanning' which can utterly murder the Disk I/O -
make sure that that's disabled for the repository.

Make sure you don't use NTFS compression too as that can cause quite a
big slowdown.  (OTOH Network Compression of the CVS protocol can speed
things up if the CPUs at both ends can handle it, which both yours should).